1 1/4 cups flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons butter
3 1/2 softened cream cheese
1 onion, peeled and chopped
1 head cabbage, coarsely shredded
dried basil or fresh basil, to taste
dried marjoram or fresh marjoram or oregano, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste
4 oz mushrooms, washed and sliced
4-5 hard-boiled eggs, sliced
chopped fresh dillmeasures conversion [+]
1. Sift together flour with salt.
2. Cut in butter, then 4 oz cream cheese.
3. Roll out 2/3 of dough and line a 9-inch deep-dish pie dish.
4. Roll out remaining pastry into a circle big enough to cover dish; chill.
5. Grease a large skillet with butter.
6. Add onion and cabbage and at least 1/8 tsp (dried) or 1/2 tsp (fresh) of each herb.
7. Sautee several minutes over medium heat, stirring constantly until cabbage is wilted, onions are soft; remove from pan.
8. Spray skillet again and sautee mushrooms 5-6 minutes, stirring constantly.
9. Spread other 4 oz cream cheese in the bottom of the pie shell.
10. Arrange the eggs in a layer over the cream cheese.
11. Sprinkle with a little dill, then cover with cabbage mixture, then a layer of the mushrooms.
12. Cover with pastry circle, press crusts together tightly at the edges and flute with a fork.
13. Cut a few short slashes in the top crust for steam to escape.
14. Bake at 400°F 15 minutes.
15. Turn temperature down to 350° and bake 20-25 minutes until crust is light brown.
Olga Timokhina collectionRecipe category: Breads-and-Pastry > Pies
, Vegetable-Dishes > Cabbage